Fuck You, Microsoft!

2 Likes

I thought Atom was MIT-licensed, and this allowed anyone to use it even if it’s no longer developed? I mean, if a piece of software does what you need, what difference does the date of the last commit in its source tree make?

Of course, Atom, like all these Electron abominations, will suffer from the fact that it’s basically a bunch of JS, CSS, and a pinch of HTML slapped on top of a Chromium build, so all the bugs and security vulnerabilities in that build are to stay with you forever unless you are prepared to regularly perform the (rather tedious) task of rebuilding the app against a newer Chromium release. However, based on your usage model and your workflow, I seriously doubt any security vulnerabilities known or to be discovered in Chromium are likely to affect you. You don’t do networking in your Atom, you use it on your own data, and as long as you don’t feed it a purposely-malformed file from some Russian Hackers’ Forum(™) that is intended to cause a heap overflow, infect your machine, and steal all your Bitcoins (and also do some mining, so that your next electricity bill makes you a bankrupt), you should be fine using the version you have.

3 Likes

I just don’t like to use software that isn’t maintained. And I am quite particular of my extensions and do try new ones once in a while. And all interesting Atom extensions are, of course, migrating to VS Code.

And that’s also where the networking comes in: Atom has an extension manager and that does like to pull in arbitrary code from the web.

As for the “Electron abomination” comment. It’s well and good to dislike a technology – I myself think JavaScript is a very bad idea – but that’s pretty much an academic point if all the interesting software uses it. I’d love for some open source dude to write cool software like Atom or Sublime in Python or Go or Rust and license it under a Free Software license. But nobody is doing it. Maybe that new thing from the Atom guy (I think that’s written in Rust) will solve it. But I’m not holding my breath.

Dude, you’re preaching to the choir! I use at least three Electron abominations daily, two of them open source, because the alternatives just don’t cut it. More than that, one of these is VSCodium, and I started using it for the things I used to do in vim, because it simply makes me more productive.

But that doesn’t make me hate Electron less… :wink:

Electron at least seems to make it easy to create decent UIs. Maybe that’s what’s lacking from all those frameworks that are more architecturally sane?

I will say it is more “pretty” UI than decent, as lot of electron apps are not very good with keyboard, and even mouse (I’m looking at you, Teams) - you also see problems with integration to the OS (global shortcuts, accessibility, color theme…), too the level off feel like self contained web page, not app.

Teams is just shit. That isn’t an Electron problem. The backend infrastructure is shit too. That’s just Microsoft.

Atom had excellent UI. I would go as far as saying it was the best UI any text editor ever had. They managed to build in things that are usually only included in IDEs without creating the unholy mess that every single IDE turns into. It was quite a thing.

I think most Electron apps end up looking and working better than native apps (GTK or the native Windows UI). But then, I don’t use keyboard shortcuts much in graphical interfaces. I never saw the point. If you want to use your keyboard, use a command line app.

You may have understated this. I’ve used teams. I wanted to smash my laptop.

It’s so bad. Especially when you’re working with lots of orgs as an outside contractor. It just can’t deal with that. That’s so embarrassing