Episode 165: I Ate'nt Dead

I explain why this show went on an unplanned hiatus and once again vow to get back into the swing of things.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://privatecitizen.press/episode/165
1 Like

So glad to be commuting with TPC again!

Today I learned about how “the fourth estate” in English is about all those British estates and things.

In Russian (and, AFAIK, in some other languages) it’s “четвёртая власть”, literally “the fourth power”, and refers to the branches of government, the first three being Legislative, Executive and Judicial. In Russian sources it is a common concept (usually attributed to JJR, although I haven’t been able to find any direct quotes) that for a society to be democratic it’s vital that the main three branches of government are separated so that no two powers are in the same hands and they balance each other neatly[1]. Arguably, the press (or better yet, journalism) is equally powerful, and equally needs to be in separate hands.

1. I don’t know if this separation of powers is actually required and/or enough to make a democracy, but I know in today’s Russia all four branches are effectively in the same hands, and it doesn’t look even close to a democracy here. ↩︎

2 Likes

I Ate’nt Dead

Good to hear that, Fabian Weatherwax.

Your story about the car breaking down made think about the next part will be that it “burn down, fell over, then sank into the swamp”, like the Monty Python quote. :upside_down_face:

Hope that rest of the year will be better, and the police is not after you because some other reasons (so you won’t get epsteined like Boeing whisleblower).

2 Likes

Glad to have you back on the airwaves again Fab :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for still being here and being listeners, all of you. I have just finished preparing episode 166 and while I’m off to Muay Thai practice later today, I will be able to record and release the episode early tomorrow. Just wanted to let y’all know.

1 Like

Glad that you are back, and looking forward for the shows to come!

I am pleased that the show is back on air. Looking forward to the next episodes, I also would like to support the show via bank transfer in the future instead of continuing to simultaneously support the Patreon platform as one of your patrons although my favourite way of future support would be sending boosts to TPC in a podcasting 2.0 compatible app. If you don’t mind, @fabsh, you can send me your IBAN by contacting me via galteran.com.

1 Like