The Private Citizen 143: Three Year Anniversary

3 Likes

I have yet to finish listening, but it suddenly struck me that I never realized how TPC was actually obvious, blatant and very aggressive propaganda of critical thinking…

I think I’ll keep listening, though. You do some great journalism, and I don’t mind critical thinking too much. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@nekr0z I must say, I’m not sure I get your comment :slight_smile:

But to take your word “obvious”: for me critical thinking is what ought to be.

I believe that we, as humans, are prone to “group think”, to just take thinks as they are, and not to think to deeply.

In other cases, it might not be feasible that you go down to all the details, so you use some kind of shortcut to come up with a conclusion: If everybody thinks it’s Ok, then it’s probably Ok!

But still, I feel that we should be aware when we start to fall into just accepting things as they are without giving them a second thought.

So it might be needed sometimes to get reminded to think critically, and thanks to @fabsh for the constant reminders!

2 Likes

It’s a joke more than anything. Still, as the (modernized) Russian saying goes, “every joke is part joke”[1], and the half-serious part in this comment is a pun on how @fabsh always contradistinguishes propaganda from journalism. In the episode, he mentions that, in his opinion, a journalist ultimately serves for the good of society. Since “the good of society” can be defined differently depending on who’s defining, a journalist must necessarily act based on his/her views in this regard, and promote the corresponding agenda (which is the only way to change the society, and change it must to become better). Fab’s agenda in this regard seems to be, among other things, critical thinking, and the need to expand it within and throughout the society. Funnily, using (mass) media to promote agenda (however noble) is the very definition of propaganda that Fab is so critical of.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with every word you’ve written there.

1. The original saying is, you guessed it, “every joke is part truth”, but in the times of censoring and oppression jokes tend to be widely used to facilitate discussion Aesopian-language-style, hence the modernized version of the saying. ↩︎

3 Likes

:frowning: My mind is too thick, I’m sorry I missed the joke.

I think the last few years have proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

3 Likes