The Private Citizen 137: Tracking Elon's Jet

2 Likes

Hi Fab,
I am Chiming in here half way through this episode where you are discussing the problems (you think) are caused by the education. I am an ex🤞 high school teacher 2022 was my last year teaching [1]. I agree the problem is education. However the exact cause within the education system is more complicated. This is going to be somewhat disjointed as I do not have the spoons to edit this.
I think one issue lies with the students. No matter how great the teacher or education system students sometimes just don’t learn good🙃.
I am not sure about your view on teachers being university rejects[2]. Teaching as a profession is increasingly becoming more complex not only dealing with teaching your subject but also raising and supporting children of diverse needs etc. Not to mention dealing with children. I think the majority of teachers are in the profession because they believe in what they do. However it is becoming increasingly difficult.
The education system (at least in Australia) is becoming more and more like a business. Losing sight of the purpose of education is to better the populous and the benefits this brings.
The business of education is focused on reducing operating costs (at the expense of good education), implementing KPIs (that are not always focused on the best educational goals). Good teachers do their best to implement great education while the business of education does everything it can to undermine their efforts.

1. I am currently still in the process of completing my transition into cyber security in a recruitment process that will continue into next year. I got in to teaching with good intentions but it is not a profession that works with my particular neurology and life circumstance ↩︎

2. This is just short hand for what you said no offence was taken. ↩︎

1 Like

Being a (medical) university teacher, I wholeheartedly agree with every point you’re making. Still, it’s hard not to quote a common Russian saying (in my rough translation): “I you can’t do the job, go teach it. If you can’t do anything at all, go teach at a Pedagogical.”

2 Likes

I do agree that the teachers of teachers (pedagogy) are by and large useless.

Funnily, I think I disagree.

To teach at a medical university in Russia you have to be both a doctor and a teacher - not only by calling, but also by formal education. After I was offered the position, I (being a doctor at that point) had to take a course in pedagogy and get a diploma in that, too; also, every five years I have to take courses both in my medical speciality and in pedagogy, and take exams to confirm I’m still good for both trades.

I must say, all these courses in pedagogy I’ve taken through the years weren’t completely worthless. Of course, nothing I learned there could be readily applied in my daily work, but it gave me a lot of food for thought and base for building up my own teaching techniques that fit my particular area and conditions of teaching.

1 Like